History

Victoria Steamship Co. Ltd. was formed in 1946 by the late Mr. N.A. Apodiacos as Ship and Insurance Brokers and London Agents. The Company was named after his mother Victoria.

The Company lay dormant until 1953 when the late Mr. P.A. Palios became a partner and Director.

The Company commenced operations with 4 war built Liberty and Empire vessels and 1 pre war vessel.

In 1960 Mr. S.G. Mellstrom, who had joined the Company in 1954, became Chartering Director.

By the 1970’s the Company had expanded to represent 10 clients and over 30 ships.

During the 1970’s the Company placed orders for 4 new buildings in Japan (Hakodate and Namura) on behalf of clients.

1980’s Saw the Company place an order, on behalf of clients, for a 43,000. D.W. vessel in Japan and also arranged for the purchase and modernisation of a number of Brazilian vessels.

1990 Mr. C.N. Apodiacos and Mr. A.P. Palios were appointed Directors of the Company.

1996 The Company was appointed as exclusive UK and overseas agents for ship managers Blue Planet Shipping Limited, Piraeus, a relationship that has continued to this day.

1999 Under instructions from Blue Planet Shipping Limited and other clients, the Company ordered the construction of 8 double skinned Suprarmax self discharging bulk carriers of 53806 tons DWT in China, all of which were delivered to their owners between 2002 and 2005.

2005 Mr. S. Contopoulos was made Technical Director.

2006 The Company moved from their original premises (since 1953) near Liverpool Street Station to larger offices at International House overlooking the Tower of London and the River Thames.

2010 On instructions from Blue Planet Shipping Limited, the Company placed an order for the construction of a post Panamax 95,000 dwt gearless bulk carrier in China, which was delivered to her owners in 2013.

2014 Mr. A.P. Palios resigned as Director.

2014 Under instructions from Blue Planet Shipping Limited, the Company placed orders for 3 Ultramax 64,000 dwt geared bulk carriers at Jiangsu Haitong Offshore Engineering Co., Ltd., in China, two of which were delivered to her Owners in 2017 and 2018 respectively.

2015 Mr. C.N. Apodiacos resigned as Director.

2015 Mrs. S. Norris and Mr. J. Tsatsas were appointed Directors of the Company.

2016 The Company moved from International House downstream to a riverside location on the River Thames at Metropolitan Wharf, Wapping.

2016 Clients of Blue Planet Shipping Limited agreed to purchase four resale 82,000 dwt ‘Kamsarmax’ bulk carriers from Jiangsu New Yangzi Shipbuilding Co., Ltd., in China which were under construction at the time and which were delivered to her new Owners in 2016 and 2017.

2017Clients of Blue Planet Shipping Limited agreed to purchase a further two resale 82,000 dwt ‘Kamsarmax’ bulk carriers from Jiangsu New Yangzi Shipbuilding Co., Ltd., in China, which were delivered to them in 2018.

2018 Clients of Blue Planet Shipping Limited purchased two previously owned Ultramax 64,000 dwt geared bulk carriers built in 2012 which were delivered to them in 2018.

View Fleet Our Services Contact Us